In my house we call this recipe a protein power house recipe. Here I have combined 3 types of lentils. To top it off I have also used peanuts. You will be surprised as the combine taste effect we get in this recipe. Each lentil along with its unique taste contributes towards the overall taste of the dish. The dry roasting of coconut adds a nutty taste in the recipe.
- 1/3rd Cup Black Chana
- 1/3rd Cup Black Eye Peas
- 1/3rd Cup Green Whole Moong
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1/2 Cup Dry Coconut
- 1 Cup Onion
- 4/5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4th Cup Oil
- 1/4th Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Kokum
- 1/4th Tsp Asafoetida
- Soak black chana, black eye peas, green whole moong, peanuts overnight in water (for about 8 hours).
- Cook it in the pressure cooker with 3 whistles.
- Dry roast coconut over low heat.
- when the coconut turns golden brown, turn off the burner. Spread it in a dish to cool down.
- Chop the onion and peel the garlic.
- In the same pot heat 1 tsp oil. Saute onion, garlic and fennel seeds on low heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Let it cool.
- Grind it into a fine paste.
- In a different pot heat remaining oil. Add mustard seeds.
- when mustard seeds starts to sputter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- Add all the cooked lentils.
- Add kokum and salt.
- Add about 2 cups of water and garam masala.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, fennel paste.
- Mix well. Let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Serve hot.