This is my friends recipe and everybody in my family loves it. This dal goes well with plain rice. The clarified butter (ghee) and garlic gives a mild taste to the dal without overpowering it. Whenever you are in mood of eating simple homemade comfy food, this is the perfect dish for the occasion.
- 1/2 Cup Tur Dal (split pigeon peas)
- 6-7 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4th Tsp Asafoetida
- Wash and soak the tur dal (split pigeon peas) in water (1 cup) for 1 hour.
- Add turmeric powder and asafoetida and 1/2 tsp salt and cook it in a pressure cooker with 3-4 whistles.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
- In a pot heat clarified butter (ghee). Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds starts to sputter add crushed garlic and mix it.
- Add the cooked dal, sugar and salt and let it boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.