Sooji ladoo is a traditional Maharashtrian sweet prepared during Diwali (The Festival Of Lights). As a kid, me and my brother used to love it and now my husband loves it as well. Freshly grated coconut in this recipe gives the ladoo a rich taste. I have learnt this recipe from my mother and am sharing the same here.
- 1 Cup Sooji
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3rd Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 Tbsp Golden Raisins
- In a pot melt ghee by heating it.
- Add sooji to the ghee and roast it on a low heat stirring continuously till it becomes golden brown.
- Add freshly grated coconut to it and roast at again on low heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove the above mixture from the heat and spread it in the dish to cool it a bit.
- In a separate pot heat sugar and water. Stir continuously on the low heat. The mixture will starts to bubble and thicken. Turn off the burner.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add roasted sooji, coconut mixture and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool a bit.
- Made round shape laddoos when the mixture is still hot but not scolding hot. Insert one golden raisin in the laddoo while giving it a shape.